Saturday, June 1, 2013

Strawberry Season


I almost missed the strawberry picking season this year. A short two weeks and its gone. 


As luck would have it we came home from vacation and I was able to squeeze in a few hours of hard core picking on Memorial Day Monday with my neighbor. Robert was the lucky sitter of 4 kids while we did some serious squatting between the rows. My glutes still hurt.



Mount Airy You Pick is 5 minutes from my house and a wonderful family run operation. I was disappointed to hear that next year would probably be the last as they are ready to retire and have no one to take over. It just makes me sad and further fuels my dream of a little plot of land with a garden, some chicks and a safe place for Lenora to run wild in the wild.



Between the 2 of us we picked 36 lbs. Nothing tastes as good as a fresh vine ripe sun warmed strawberry. You just can’t beat it.



I froze most to use through the year and made a bowl of homemade whipped cream for topping the rest.


What a perfect day, great company and strawberries. 

No comments:

Post a Comment